Friday, April 16, 2010

A Day Off

Friday arrived cold and rainy. We took our time getting to the cafe and I blogged and wrote emails all morning. I had decided to take the day off from the orphanage mostly because I couldn't figure what to do if I went. And that way Kai could have his last day of school with no distractions. He could be bored and sick of the place so when he leaves, he'll be good and ready.

I had a sandwich and played FreeCell for a while. I even took a little nap (This after 9 hours sleep!). It was raining lightly but I wanted to go out for a while. There is a second hand store just past the bus stop that I have wanted to check out so I went.

The store was tidy and without that second hand store musty smell. I perused the racks of tops and pants, not sure about the sizes. When I had 3 or 4 things draped over my arm, a sales girl came and took them from me, chatting about whatever, and pointing to a rack near the dressing rooms. I tried to look like I knew what she was saying and thought that she was very nice. I had accumulated quite a few things and decided to try them on. The sales girl again helped me by hanging my things on hooks outside the dressing room where I could reach them.

I had not guessed the pants size right, but the tops were right on. I really liked 3 of them and made my purchase. I spent about $25 (195 grivna). What a bargain. They appeared to be brand new. I am so sick of wearing the same 4 shirts, now I have some new options!

I walked to the Amctop, not knowing exactly what for, but just for something to do. I wandered the aisles looking for ideas for small gifts for Kai's friends. The only idea I came up with was a gift for Ludwig's birthday, which is Monday. I thought he might like some of that Axe deodorant/body spray that the teenage boys like so much. I picked one out and got in the wrong check-out line. There were 2 parties before me making just a few purchases, but it seemed to take hours. Then the girls in front of me wanted to buy a small lighter that apparently jammed the cash register scanner. The check-out lady flipped on the flashing light and I went to find another line. Does that always happen to you?

I headed home and was pretty wet by the time I got there. My shoes were a mess. I'm really gonna have to toss them when I get home. They don't owe me anything. I spent the rest of the day and evening sitting on my butt playing computer games and watching episodes of Chuck. Sorry this is so boring, but everyone says it'll get more exciting once we start getting ready to go home. Jessica called me when she was leaving the orphanage. She had told Kai I would not be coming and he seemed a little concerned. She asked him about the weekend plans and I guess he just kept saying that we should do whatever Mom wants to do. He knows we'll be coming to get him tomorrow and that we'd like to take the boys to McDonald's on Sunday. Jessica initiated the permission protocol and the teacher named Olga will be accompanying us. Awesome.

Thank you soooo much to all of you praying and sending me encouraging messages. I think I will have a much better attitude tomorrow because we have plans to do stuff and Kevin doesn't have to work. We're planning to find some big shopping center and buy gifts for Kai's friends. The challenge will be that we'll have no translater and will need to call a cab to take us there. Can't wait to see how that all works out.

1 comment:

  1. Hope the volcanos in Iceland don't disrupt your return.

    ReplyDelete