Thursday, April 1, 2010

Everything Is A Go

Cloudy and overcast today, but warm enough to go with a fleece jacket instead of my parka. It's funny to think that we got here and it was snowing most every day, and now it's spring. We got to the cafe late because Kevin slept in. These late nights working are not all that great for him, I think. But we decided that, since he can work from here just as well as from home, that he'll stay on even after court. That makes sense to me because it's cheaper for him to eat here than at home and we'd have to pay for the apartment whether one or two of us are here. Besides, we'd both be so lonely if we had to be apart. I think it's a good decision all around.

I called Victor to get the low-down on what our status was. He said he had all referrals, documents and Interpol clearance papers in hand. He had sent all necessary papers to the lawyers in Zapporhysia and they had them. Court is set for April 6th at 10:00am. He asked if he could spend Easter with his family and I said of course. Easter is Sunday and Monday. Therefore, Victor will be taking the overnight train on Monday and arrive at the apartment around 7:30 am Tuesday morning. He said he will prepare us for court (whatever that means) and we should be ready to leave the apartment at 9:00. I don't know how Kai gets there, but I'm sure he'll work all that out, too. After talking with Victor I started to get really excited. I mean, it's actually finally going to happen! Can you believe it???

I left at 2:30 to get the bus to the orphanage. The driver wouldn't stop where I wanted to get off. A little Ukrainian lady wanted to get off, too ,and she was yelling at him to stop. I had to walk 3 blocks to get back to where I wanted to be, and then the block to the orphanage. This wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been carrying my computer, camera, 2 water bottles, and all the paraphenalia I usually bring. No one was in the courtyard when I arrived and I went inside and nearly bumped into Kai. He lit up and said Hi. Jessica arrived shortly and said she was going to give a couple piano lessons for a while, and would we be okay without her. No worries.

We looked at the pictures and videos from the day at Cossack Island and if someone came by that hadn't seen the photos from prevoius, we showed them again. I had worn my iPod on the bus again and Kai wanted to use it. It's full of praise music but he didn't seem to mind. I think just having one of those stuck in your ears makes you a BMOC. I think it's rude if you're with other people, so I made him shut it off. He continued to wear it, however, until it was time for me to leave. After a while we decided it was time to go to the store. I invited Natasha and Vitaly, Ludwig, and Daniel came. We got soda, bread, sausage, string cheese, chips, cookies and chocolate. It all came to about $6.00. I love how inexpensive food is here! Feeding a bunch of boys will break the bank in America.

Jessica joined us when we returned to the classroom. I asked if Kai would like music and he asked if my computer would play a CD. I said of course and he produced a copy of a Snoop Dog CD. I did not bring the speakers for my computer so it wouldn't play very loud (thank goodness) but they seemed happy enough. As we ate, my slide show screen saver came up and they all enjoyed looking at pictures of them and of our journey so far.

Time passed very quickly and soon it was 5:45. I figured I should be heading out soon and we began cleaning up. A quick good-bye tonight and Jessica and I walked out to the bus. I was home before 6:30. Kevin seemed exhausted and was plugging away at his computer. I kept him company while doing crossword puzzles and listening to my iPod. I put in a load of laundry and played Scrabble. He quit to watch a TV show with me and I went to bed. He stayed up until after 2:00 again.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear the great news! And it is great that Kev can stay- so much less stress on both of you. Nice he could play McGyver with your computer!have a great weekend, and this Easter will certainly be special! Keep posting!!
    Love
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete