Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bolshoy, Boring Bummer!

Slept well again and did our usual morning thing at the Coffee Life (Coffee As Lifestyle). I had just finished writing my blog and my computer went bye-bye. I spent the next hour running various diagnostics on it while Kevin played Scrabble. We gave up and went back to the apartment. This was sooooo depressing! I continued to run the diagnostics and became more and more deflated about it. I realized that I had not gotten anything done in the last 3 or 4 days because of all our running around, so I decided to stay home today and take care of business. I was distracted and depressed and it was "that time of the month" so I figured I wouldn't be all that much fun to be around anyway. I called Jessica to tell her I wouldn't be coming in and she said she'd tell Kai and let me know what he says.

I got busy in the apartment. I swept every room (where does all this dirt come from???) and washed the floors, did 2 loads of laundry and cleaned the kitchen. I was exhausted afterwards so I rested. Then I rallied and walked to the Comfy to grocery shop. The walk home seems longer lugging all the groceries.

Kevin, meanwhile, was working and simultaneously Googling everything he could find on how to recover a mal-functioning hard drive. It seems my computer doesn't want to play with it's hard drive anymore and is pretending it doesn't exist. Kevin found every program he could on any kind of recovery, using all those buttons on the keyboard that I have no clue what they're for. He removed the optical drive and did stuff, and even went to remove the hard drive, but the screwdriver on my Swiss army knife was too big. So he walked past the Comfy to the hardware store to buy one but it was closed. He went into the Comfy then but he didn't like their screwdrivers for some reason. He went into the electronics store and the guy who spoke English there just gave him one. He said it was a gift and wanted to know if we wanted to open a wine bottle with it! And although the gift screwdriver was also too big, he actually got the stupid computer started a couple of times, but it soon froze up and crapped out again.

Meanwhile, there I was, lying on the bed exhausted and feeling pretty sorry for myself. I felt like a nobody, in the middle of nowhere, doing nothing. I miss my friends, my work, my sister, my stupid dog, my home, my car....everything! I began to pray and realized I hadn't been very greatful lately. So, I started counting my blessings and being thankful. It really helped.

Kevin worked well past 2:00am and I went to bed at 10:30. I slept another horse and woke at 7:45. I never sleep this much! I'm thinking that I have existed for years with sleep deprivation and am just now starting to catch up. Kevin hasn't been snoring lately and my back hasn't been hurting like usual, so I'm really sleeping.

So now it's actually Wednesday morning, 3:45 am your time, and we did not go to the cafe. My computer is still croaked and I am using Kevin's. He walked to the hardware store again to get a screwdriver, returned and pulled out the hard drive. I plan to go to the orphanage today with a better attitude. I think I will ask Jessica if we can meet earlier and pray together before going over to see the kids. I am also really missing my weekly prayer time with Penny so maybe that would be good.

Today is also Victor's birthday. He called yesterday to say that he was told by the SDA that our Interpol documents have arrived and that he will pick them up today. That is extremely good news. He said the SDA will not be receiving any new dossiers from April 1 to the 12th, although they will be open for other business. I'll bet they are just back-logged due to the wait on the Interpol documents. So, keep praying for resurrection power in my computer (please?) and I'll keep my chin up.

4 comments:

  1. Prayers are flying here like fire flies on a summer night! You're chin should be in the air!
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post makes me smile. I am SO happy about the interpol document I can hardly focus on the problems, Kim. But your experience fits perfectly with something I heard at Bible study this am about Daniel & the lions. The enemy is a lion with a big mouth, full of lies. Don't believe them! What can we learn from Daniel to get the lion's mouth to stay shut? See Dan 6:10: get down on our knees and pray; give thanks. He's teaching you the same thing. Isn't it so encouraging? So I'm thinking the lion's mouth will stay shut :)
    Love & prayers,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are being covered in prayers daily~ I am going to take pictures tomorrow & put on my FB for you. The trees are absolutey gorgeous this year. Praying for your computer~ that sucks! Love & Laughter, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy your interpol clearance arrived. Woohoo! If you didn't have any boring days then you wouldn't be reminded of the really good days so enjoy the extra rest. I think most americans are sleep deprived and ti's amazing how much better you feel and how much better everything works when you are well rested. Didn't know you would have to go half way around the world to find that out, huh?

    ReplyDelete