Sunday, March 14, 2010

Where Do I Begin?

Friday in Kyiv was very busy. I am still not sleeping at night. My inner clock is very stubborn. We woke to light snow and it continued all day, but without any accumulation. Victor arrived at 10:00am and we rode the bus to the US Embassy. Victor waited outside while Kevin and I went through security and entered a very unimpressive establishment. We found the adoption services and filled out and signed some forms so that, if Kevin wants to go home before Kai and me, he can. That didn't take long and we found Victor who took us to a taxi nearby.

We went to a big church/cathedral/monastery place to see museums and the catacombs of the mummified monks. In one sanctuary, Victor filled out prayer cards for the monks to pray for our health and he purchased 3 candles and lit them on the candle altar. I felt the presence of God very strongly there. It made me very happy.

Victor showed us a small museum where was displayed amazing artwork/sculptures that were actually smaller than could be seen by the naked eye. They were displayed under microscope with explanations in various languages, including English. It was fascinating. One had a complete chess set in gold on the head of a pin. One was a panorama of a pyramid, 3 camels, and a palm tree in the eye of a needle. A rose was displayed inside a bored out piece of human hair. This guy had way too much time on his hands! Incredible.

We walked down a steep cobbled path as it snowed. It was slippery, but people walked around regardless. I thought in the US, this would be a lawyer's dream. We went to the catacombs but it was closed for some reason. I was disappointed not to see them, but perhaps when we return to Kyiv at the end of our journey we will get another chance.

This time we rode the bus and found a cafeteria near Independence Square. It was underground. There were lots of people there but it wasn't actually crowded. There was all kinds of food to choose from and we got lots to eat. The food was good and very reasonable cost.

We needed to kill some time before the SDA reopened at 3:00 so we walked around (still snowing) and I did some shopping. I had seen some beautiful hand painted tea light holders that I liked so we went back to that open sidewalk "mall". A man selling other trinkets began showing me the nesting dolls that are for sale everywhere. I was not interested in nesting dolls (figures of decreasing size that fit one inside the other) but his display of them was so earnest that I was compelled to attend. Besides, there was nothing else to do. He showed me one, however, that was egg shaped and of the Christmas story. It had the manger scene on one, then the wise men, the shepherd boys, a lamb and the star, etc. I was completely taken with it. He then showed me one that was of the life of Christ from birth, through teachings, crucifixion and resurrection. I thought I would prefer that one, but something drew me to the Christmas one. He marked it down from 350 to 250 grivna and I bought it. I also bought some candlestick holders and tea light holders. I was very happy with my purchases. I think I might give the nesting "egg" to Kai at Christmas. So don't say anything!

At 3:00 we went over to the SDA office but the door was locked. We stood around waiting (still snowing) and watched as the gate giving access to the locked door was also locked. This did not look good. It was after 4:00 that we finally got inside and by then I no longer could feel my feet. I asked why we could not go in before and was told that they do not have money to pay security and so the door is locked. We had the pleasure to meet another couple while we waited who were from Maryland and were also adopting. Their story was much more complicated than ours and they were adopting from another orphanage in another town. But it was nice to see other Americans, and we really could appreciate how much we must "stick out like a sore thumb" because they sure did. We finally signed the papers and got our referral so we could go see our boy. Ya-hoo!

Victor left us and we walked back to our apartment. We packed up our stuff and rested for a while. Victor arrived at 7:00pm and we left with all our stuff. We took a taxi to the train station and got McDonalds to eat. It was crowded inside and we had all these huge suitcases and stuff so we stood outside by the tall tables and ate. (Still snowing, mind you.) It was nearly 8:00 when we boarded the train. Victor had purchased the tickets through a friend and we had a compartment to ourselves to the tune of $100. We stowed our bags under the bottom bunks and settled in and played cards.

Victor was keen to learn some new card games and we want him to be able to teach Kai how to play what we play. We started with Spades because it is basically making tricks and using trump. We also used bidding and sandbags so it got to be pretty fun. Victor killed us so he really enjoyed the game. The train took off at 8:30 as we played. We then switched to Pitch, a game made famous by my sister and her husband. It took about 3 hands for Victor to catch on and after that he won the game again. I was okay with that because I want him to have all the favor on him as he represents us.

We started getting ready for bed at 11:30. We put the bedrolls and sheets on the cots and waited for the bathroom to be free. The bathroom is only open as the train is moving because the toilet flushes through a whole in the floor and out of the train. It took me a minute to figure out that the flush handle was near the floor and was to be employed by foot. Then to figure out the sink. The water is turned on by pushing up a small stem extending from behind the faucet opening. Try finding that in the dim light of a tiny water closet in a moving train at midnight!

By midnight we were all in bed, Victor sleeping above me, Kevin beside me (where I could hit him when he snores). The rocking of the train was not unpleasant and the beds were passable. I'd had a busy day with no naps so I figured I'd sleep just fine. However, I'd not counted on the excitement factor. Apparently I was so excited about getting to Zapporizyia and seeing my boy that my heart beat like I was out jogging and I could not sleep a wink. I think I finally slept at about 4:00am so I got at least 2, perhaps 2 1/2 hours. The porter knocked on the door about 6:30 to ask if we want tea, to tell us the bathroom would be locked in 15minutes, and for us to give her our sheets. Kevin (God love him) made a joke about that but I will have to tell you it later, not suited for a blog.

We arrived in Zapporhyzia at 7:00 and there was a taxi driver waiting for us. (Isn't Victor great?) He took us directly to the apartment and Victor already had the key somehow. The area looks seedy, dirty, dark and dingy. I guess you could say that about most of Zapporhyzia. However, once inside the apartment, I was pleasantly surprised. It had 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, and bath. The rooms were huge and there are lots of windows. We were on the 4th floor. In the Kyiv apartment, the toilet was in a separate closet from the sink and tub. No wonder people don't wash their hands after using the toilet. You have to go to a separate room! That closet was also small and the tub was bigger than in the US. The shower head was hand held with a very high wall mount. The faucet swung from the sink to the tub. In Zap., the bathroom was easily 3 times the size of ours at home. The tub was as big a a jetted tub and although there was a hand held shower, there was no wall mount and no shower curtain. This means we must master the art of showering sitting down. I think I am the best at it so far because after Kevin and Victor took their showers, the entire bathroom was soaked. Beside the toilet there was a bidet. I admit that I haven't the foggiest idea how one uses it, and I doubt I would even venture to try. I think I might be afraid I might like it. But, on the other side of the toilet was a marvelous thing of great beauty. It was a very small but very modern-looking clothes washer!!!!! I was ecstatic! If you knew how fast Kevin goes through clothes, you would be very happy for me. I had already done some clothes washing in the tub in Kyiv, and the thought of doing that for the pile we had amassed over these few days was more than daunting.

We all unpacked, took showers and settled into the apartment. A driver came for us at 10:00 and we went to some government building where, although is was Saturday, the head of juvenile services (the Inspector) was waiting to meet with us "informally". She seemed pleasant, but all business. Kevin and I smiled mutely while she and Victor discussed God-knows-what. After about 15 minutes, the meeting was over and we went back to the car. I called Jessica and Victor called Olga and we all met in a pizza place near the Intourist Hotel. I hadn't eaten much on Friday, and it was noon by then and I was famished and on 2 hour's sleep. I wasn't sure I would make it.... Kevin and I ordered a beer while we waited for the others and in a few minutes I perked right up.

Jessica arrived first and although we had never met, I felt immediately as if we were long-lost friends. Jessica is 27, thin, pretty, and taller than me by about 2 inches! She is from New Hampshire, too, all of which makes us practically sisters. (Except the thin part.) We chatted and caught up and apparently made quite a scene. The young boy at the table next to us stared unabashedly. Olga arrived and we told them that dinner was on Laura Passinita, she having given us funds for just such an eventuation. So, the girls went nuts...salads, omelets, pizza, desserts, and multiple cappuccinos all around. It was a grand affair!

Olga had to get back to the orphanage, Victor needed to make copies of more of our documents, and we needed to get some groceries. Olga left and Jessica took us to a nearby grocery store. Everything was funny as we navigated the store. I think Kevin didn't know what to make of us. I told Jessica how my (also tall) sister likes to ask short people to reach things for her on the lower shelves since they always ask her to reach for things on the upper shelves. She said she asks them if they play miniature golf after they undoubtedly ask if she played basketball. Very silly!

We got only a few things because I couldn't think of what else to get, and I realized we had to carry everything about 1/2 a mile back to the apartment. We waited outside for Victor where it was, as usual, snowing. We had only a few minutes to unload our stuff, show Jessica the apartment and rest a bit before we left again. We are not allowed to go to the orphanage to see Kairos until we meet "officially" with the inspector and have a social worker present. That won't happen until Monday. However, there is a youth function at a nearby church facility that he can go to and we could conveniently be there, too. So, that was the plan. Jessica said there was a bus that goes right there. Despite Victor's protests, we walked about a mile to get the bus and crammed ourselves into it. Once off the bus, there was another 1/2 mile walk to the house. I determined that we were gonna take a car back if I had any say in the matter.

Once inside, we found the kids watching a video of some kind. We peered into the darkened room and could make out no faces. Very soon, however, one of them stood and headed our way. I knew it was him and I moved away from the door. He reached Kevin first and gave him a hug. He looked at me and his face lit up. We held each other for a long time saying I love you over and over amidst our kisses. Victor herded us to the next room where the 4 of us sat and talked and caught up with everything. We had tea and cookies and Kai showed us his improved break-dancing skills. Kai was told that we have not "officially" met and that when we meet with the inspector on Monday, he has to be all happy and surprised all over again for them. He had to go back to the orphanage just before 6:00 and we took a passenger van back to the apartment. We were completely wiped out and it wasn't quite 7:00pm. I fell asleep because I couldn't think clearly enough to do anything else. Kevin made himself a sandwich and then he conked out. I got up, boiled some eggs, and made a sandwich. Then I got washed up and went to bed, too. It wasn't even 9:00.

That night we both finally slept well. We woke at 7:00 and "luxuriated" until about 8:00. After showering and eating, I had laundry on my mind. Problem was, not only could I not read any of the many buttons on the machine, I couldn't even get the door open. Victor finally got up and showered. Then I asked him to help me. He fussed and fussed with the blessed thing and eventually got the door open. Apparently someone had broken the door latch and it was still locked because there was water still in the drum. If I stuck the handle end of his razor behind the door handle, wiggled it around to find just the right spot, the door latch would release. Bingo! I was in business. Then I tried to put the clothes in. It fit 1 pair of jeans, a tee shirt, socks and undies, and that's about it! Then, when I started it, the regular cotton cycle was 80 minutes long! Too late to go back now. I unfolded the drying rack in the living room and Victor announced he had internet connection in his bedroom! He went all over the apartment with my computer trying to find where I could connect. The only place was his bedroom! So I set up in there and began to blog.

There are issues with wall plugs not working, so when Kevin came in to log on, too, I had to go to another plug. Unfortunately it was too far from the window for me to maintain connection, so I went looking for another spot. Just on the other side of the bedroom wall, in the living room, behind the couch, I could get the signal, too. So after some furniture re-arranging, I was all set. I blogged and did laundry (shorter cycles after that).

The plan today is to do some more grocery shopping and then go to a church service at 5:00. Perhaps Kairos will be there, too. Then Monday morning at 9:00 is our official inspector meeting. Then I will be able to hang out at the orphanage all I want. And with the connection to internet at the apartment, Kevin is good to go, too. Isn't this amazing???

7 comments:

  1. It is great to follow your adventures and see God's hand and blessings along the way. I can see how it is a lesson in patience, but you seem to be passing with flying colors! We're excited for you. ~ Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that is amazing!!!! Thaks for sharing!!!! Love it & praying you continue to feel God's presence wherever you are!!! Love & Laughter, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you have arrived and are getting settled. It is exciting to hear about all the adventures and of seeing many of our friends there. I know the excitement of seeing your son is awesome! Enjoy the time and thanks for taking the girls out to dinner. They are so precious to us.
    Many blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love the blog makes me miss Ukraine!!! That is the youth center we go to when we are there. Can you just give Jessica a big Hug for me and tell her I will be there Aug 23rd. Can't wait to see her and does she need anything??? I am so HAPPPY you saw Kai today, everytime I say that it brings tears to my eyes What a blessing this whole journey is for you and all that are involved!!! God is so faithful all the time!!! The pizza place is where I feel like we eat every night. Keep blogging and you are in my prays for monday morning. Can't wait til you can go to the internat (not orphange) and meet all my babies. When you meet Max tell him HI another beautiful 15 year old boy not quiet a Artem but, Well God show favor on you 2morrow,I am Praying. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an amazing journey you are on. sounds like your rolling with all the puches...glad you finally got some sleep. Once you get to hang out at the orphanage,,how much longer will it be till you can leave? Very touching when you finally got to see Kairos!!!! Bet he can't sleep either. Thanks for moment by moment descriptions...there with you, Love Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to hear more about Kev's dirty undies....keep up the good work. you must be tired of being giddy for so long....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, wow. Reading this, especially the part where Kai came up to you and Kevin and when he hugged you both...I was bawling. What an amazing thing that's happening for you guys! Thank you so much for sharing this special time in your lives with all of your friends and family :) We love all of you and are so happy for you!!! Yay!!!! God brings healing in such beautiful ways! Love you.

    ReplyDelete