Saturday, March 20, 2010

One Week In Zap.

We've been here in Zapprohzyia for a week and Kevin says we're part of the scenery. Yesterday I cleaned the apartment as best I could. It is actually pretty gross, especially the kitchen. Then I went to the nearby supermarket to get a few things, particularly water.

The driver named Leonid came at 3:00 to take me to the orphanage. He became quite chatty and I found his English somewhat understandable. He was keen to tell me about his son who turned 1 on March 9th. In fact, he said he had pictures in the glove box, which I politely removed and looked through. I found it interesting that he was so old (at least as old as me) and had a 1 year old baby. He was incredibly proud. The kid was cute, his wife was younger and very skinny. I told him about my kids, too. It took a while for him to understand that my son had died, but when he got it he was very sad for me. I wish I had brought prints of my kids. All my photos are on my computer.

The kids were all outside when I got there. Jessica was surrounded, as usual. Kai greeted me with hugs, kisses, and I-love-yous, but after that made absolutely no eye contact. That made me a little uncomfortable. Soon, Jessica was able to explain to me that Kai wanted to spend the weekend with his "step-father", the man who took care of his mother and who had continued to show him kindness even after her death. It seems that a friend of the man's had passed away and he wanted Kai to be with him for the funeral or whatever. He also said that he was being picked up by his step-father at 10:00 tomorrow and would like Kevin and I to be there to meet him. I thought that would not happen, because it would cost 60 grivna for the cab round trip just to say hi. Perhaps when he returns on Sunday we could meet. Then we could hang out with Kai for a while, too. We'll see.

So, we needed to go to the store again and the boys really wanted to play cards again. Jessica walked to the store with us and helped Kai make decisions about what to get. Eventually, we left with 2 chocolate bars for his 2 teachers, coffee and water for his step-dad, and bread, cheese, pepperoni, crackers, cookies, and water for his friends. It came to about $17, but I didn't have enough. Jessica gave me money and I promised to pay her back later.

While at the store, we had a chance to talk. I purchased a stick of pepperoni and asked the girl at the deli to slice it for me, figuring the boys probably don't have a knife in their bedroom. Kai had only asked for bread, saying they all get hungry at night. Bread, in my opinion wasn't going cut it. They eat so much carbs, and sugar...they need protein! Anyway, the deli girl took her sweet time and we talked with Jessica translating as best she could. Kai said the girls at the orphanage like me and think I am pretty, that I have pretty eyes. (Thank you, Cover Girl!) He said the boys like me, too, and he seemed proud that I am his mom. That was a big difference from the way Kelly and Robbie were about me. In front of their friends I was nothing more than a total embarassment.

Back in the classroom kids were working on jigsaw puzzles and waiting for us to return. They made us all tea and we started playing cards. The game was very animated and the boys continued to enjoy my shuffling skills and my attempts to speak Russian. Vitaly, as usual, was in the game. A boy named Daniel played as well as me and Jessica. Kai was puttering around and I thought he might serve some of the food he got. However, he did not, and eventually asked Jessica if he could take over her hand and join the game. That worked out well because Jessica could coach him a little and he seemed to understand the game better today.

I had not told the taxi driver to come for me at 6:00 because I thought I might hang out with Jessica after we left the orphanage. The boys were due to have dinner at 7:00. However, at 6:00 a teacher came in and said there was a cab outside waiting for me. Bummer! Oh, well. We packed up our stuff and said our good-byes. We decided not to go to Jessica's apartment because she had been out of electricity all day there. We figured we'd go to my place, eat or go out to eat, and watch a movie. Even if Kevin had to work, at least we'd be there to keep him company.

At the taxi cab we were met with a surprise. Leonid had his baby son with him! He was all bundled up in a snow suit but there was no hint of a carseat. Leo explained that no one was at home to take care of him. He tried to buckle him in the back seat but baby fussed terribly. Jessica took him on her lap and Leo drove while baby screamed. I wanted to suggest that I hold him in my lap in the front seat where he could at least see his daddy better, but was uncomfortable with the whole no car seat thing, let alone baby in the front. Nonetheless, that is what had to be done. Leo pulled over and I took him on my lap.

Please understand that this is not as innocent as it might sound. It was dark. Leo had the interior light on so baby could see him. Leo was crooning to his child and looking at him and not the road. Driving on Ukranian roads is challenging in the best of conditions. There are no lines for the most part, and the roads are mostly pothole after pothole. Driving is essentially zig-zagging around trying to find the fewest potholes, and slamming on the brakes when one sneaks up on you. It had started raining lightly and the windshield was opaque. The light was on, and Leo was not even watching the road. I'm sitting there with the now quiet baby, holding him tightly as we swerve and lurch. Eventually I shut the light off myself and pointed out the rain on the windshield. He turned on the wipers, which only served to smear the grime across the glass. I said to Jessica that maybe he would pay us for babysitting instead of me paying his for cab driving.

The buzzer at the front door of the apartment was not working so we called Kevin. We decided to scrounge for something to eat and settled on some bread, cheese, pickles and wine. Jessica picked out a Jennifer Aniston movie and Kevin took his computer into Victor's empty room to continue working. The movie was really stupid. Afterwards, Jessica asked me to tell her what had happened to Robbie. I launched into the story and wept as I recounted many details.

At about 9:30, it was time for Jessica to go home. Kevin was kind enough to walk with us the 1/2 mile to the bus. It was surprisingly warm that night and the walk was good for us all. The bus came quickly, we said good-bye, and walked back to the apartment. I got ready for bed and we watched Bones again and went to sleep.

Saturday morning dawned sunny and downright balmy (10 degrees C). After our usual morning routine, we headed to the coffee shop. I feel kind of bad that now that Kevin has a day off, he can't visit Kai because Kai took off with his step-dad. However, we'll make the best of it. The basic plan is to spend the afternoon walking around the shops looking for gifts, and also more groceries. Tonight we'd like to go to that Canadian church here near the apartment. Jessica said she'd like to do that, too. We'll probably either go out to eat before or after service. We'll see what works best. Sounds like a vacation to me! And with such nice weather, we can't complain.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. Glad the car ride in the rain ended well. That Ukrainian driving is a real interesting ride, huh? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey big Sis, the bogs are really good. been keeping up. Weather is warm here. Tell Kai he willnot believe the blue water outside of St. Augustine. I hesitate to tell him that there are many fish to catch, as it seems whenever Kevin is on the boat we come up dry....Ha! I do think of you and your journey often and honestly am glad that you are there observing and realizing just how different things are over there. It is an eye opener as to how truly blessed we are, and how what we have could so easily not have been....I am proud of you. Your lil bro.

    ReplyDelete