Sunday, March 21, 2010

Saturday

Our walk to the Comfy was notable only by my adventure with the public toilet. Before we even began shopping, I found myself in desparate need of the facilities. We went upstairs to the ice cream shop and I asked for a "toilet", which is the word they use in Russian. The nice girl walked with me around 2 corners to where I could see the WC sign. I thanked her and prayed that they would have toilet paper because I did not have my tissues with me. My relief to see that toilet paper was provided was shortlived when I saw the toilet. It was basically a hole in the floor. I will not go into details about how I negotiated this procedure, but suffice it to say that I was successful and managed to keep my clothes and shoes clean in the process. I also noted that one does not dispose of the toilet paper in this type of hole, but instead into a small trash recepticle to the side. That explains why Kai would throw his toilet paper in the trash can in America. That evening I shared my experience with Jessica and she said that these facilities are known to visitors as "squatty potties". Kevin thinks the Cossacks perfected their dance skills from using these types of tiolets.

Once in the grocery store, we bought a ton of food; meats, cheeses, salads, snacks and beer. I haven't been able to find any decent wine here. The 2 types I bought so far proved to be very sweet and pretty nasty. When you can't read any labels, it makes an already difficult process even harder. The beer, on the other hand is not so bad. I can't find any good stout, but at least they don't have Miller Lite. Recognisable brands include Heinekin, Stella Artios, Touborg, and Carlsberg, none of which are our favorites. So we have been trying some local brews and have not been disappointed.

Since the small bottle of vodka that we bought last week was nearly gone, we decided to get another one for when Victor comes back. In the vodka aisle (2 walls of nothing but vodka), we were approached by a young man. I said my line about not understanding Russian and he asked if we spoke English, in very decent English. I said yes, and he asked if we were buying some vodka. I said what clued you in? (Not really, but I thought it.) Soon he was joined but 2 or 3 others all pulling vodka bottles off the shelf and stating that their brand was the "best of the best". Of course I was muscle testing each brand to see what would be most compatable, so it was easy to say no to their offerings. I think their "best of the best" was perhaps just too "good" for us, since we are not seasoned vodka drinkers. I might try a little in my cherry juice, but the stuff scares me. I am afraid to be fine one minute and on the floor the next. Hard stuff seems to do that to me, so I tend to avoid it.

We got so much food and spent about $52. Because it was 450 grivna, it still seems like a lot of money. It was heavy, carrying all that back to the apartment, but that's why I pay for a gym membership for Kevin. He is great to have around for stuff like that.

We had about and hour or so to kill before meeting Jessica. I have had no problem resting and dozing and praying and basically taking it easy. This is so unlike being home. We met Jessica at the Intourist Hotel at 4:00. We were all hungry and she took us down the street a bit to the Mustang Restaurant. I was so happy we went there. Dave Schweikert told us all about it and I really wanted to see it. The Mustang theme is not Ford automobiles, nor is it horses. Instead, it is themed after WWI fighter planes, which are strung from the ceiling among all kinds of other memorabelia. The waitress is dressed in period garb and the table linen is camo. But the experience is not complete until one visits the restroom. It is like entering the fuselage of a small fighter plane. I think it is worth a trip to Ukraine just to see the bathroom in the Mustang restaurant.

Dinner was excellent, the food here has not disappointed. We left to meet Jessica's roommate Gallia back at the Intourist. From there we continued down the street at least another 1/2 mile to the Canadian church, the Church of New Hope. We saw Sarah there and were greeted warmly by people who were friends we just hadn't met yet. There was tea, coffee, and cookies as people were arriving. Shortly after 6:00 service began. It was announced that this was the first service for which they had live music provided by their small praise band. They had keyboard, bass, and guitar. We sang first one song in English, then one in Russian for about 6 songs. I knew most of the numbers, and sang in English while they did the Russian version of "How Great is Our God".

After a prayer and some announcements, Pastor John Wiens gave the Word. He apparently has been teaching a series about how to "finish the race" successfully. The evening's lesson was on practical ways to handle temptation, sin, and difficulties. He spoke a sentence or 2 and a woman translated into Russian. After he finished, we sang their "theme song" Amazing Grace with a CD. Fellowship resumed after service and we stayed for another 1/2 hour meeting people and chatting. Kevin had discovered that he had left his reading glasses back at the restaurant. When we finally extracted ourselves from church, we headed back there hoping to be able to find them. As we were leaving, Pastor John said he would like to have us over to their home at some point while we are here. I said that would be lovely.

Kevin had barely set foot in the Mustang restaurant when Tatiana, our waitress, approached him with his glasses. We said "big thank you". Jessica and Gallia wanted to walk a mile or so to the McDonald's and get ice cream. We were not game for that so we made plans for the next day before parting. Jessica was teaching some children at the orphanage from 3 to 5 the next day and the youth service was at 5:00. She said that the pastor there would like for us to speak during service. They are interested in our story and our impressions of Ukraine. There would be a translator so I said no problem. We plan to go to the orphanage before 5:00 and meet her. If Kai happens to return before then, perhaps we would go earlier.

Back at the apartment, we rested, watched TV, and went to bed. Why am I so tired? I rest and sleep and still I can sleep more. I think being here is really good for me. During a normal vacation we tend to try to pack in so much activity, there is usually not so much time to just rest. Here there is not much to do so we don't do much. I think this is good, at least for now.

4 comments:

  1. That is funny about the toilet- that is the kind of toilets they had in Japan, too. I remember the first time I had to use them- so much fun in heels, hose and a business suit!!
    Loved your comment about friends you just hadn't met yet. Sounds like you are relaxing and having a nice weekend- just what you need, I am sure.Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming week, and hoping and praying that Victor ckmes back with good news.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can visualize your bathroom experience Kim! I agree with the resting part...your body is probably saying "Yipee...I had to get her to travel across the world to finally get some quality rest!" Dave is so looking forward to the food, as well as the boys! I sent our FIFTH and FINAL (hopefully)fed ex package to Ukraine on Friday. Now the wait! My grandson Ty is going with us. It will be a much different trip than the first time with 3 boys with us and 4 coming home! Love you guys and will miss you this morning in church!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely worth keeping your camera on yuo all the time just to photgraph all the bathrooms! The various types and kinds are pretty humorous. Jessica is sucha sweetheart isn't she? Say Hi to Pastor Vasiliy for us at the youth service. It will probsbly be his daughter Karina who will translate. She is awesome. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim & Kevin.
    Love keeping up with your journey on the blog and on FB! I think of you and pray for you often. It's such an incredible time for you two and Kai. Adoption is such a lovely picture of God's love and YOU get to act it out! As I typed that I sensed there will be tests to the love between you and Kai, but bear in mind agape love never fails.
    Love & prayers, Leslie

    ReplyDelete