Monday, March 15, 2010

Random Observations from Kevin

When riding the bus, people who jump onto the back of a crowded bus simply hand their money to the next person closest to the front of the bus and that person will hand the money to the next person closest to the front and this process will continue until the money is finally placed in the pile of money beside the driver. The driver will make change and hand it back in the same manner. Try that in NY.

Kim, Victor and I were crossing the street. I noticed no cars were coming so I started to cross. Victor stopped me because the pedestrian light was red. We waited until the light was green and proceeded to cross. Half way across, I noticed several cars were approaching Kim’s blindside and I wasn’t sure if they would stop. The green pedestrian light means that if someone hits you, they will incur a large fine. It doesn’t mean that cars stop and people walk. I told Kim to watch out and fortunately for us, the driver didn’t want to be fined because he stopped a few feet from us. We made it across the street, but I was puzzled as to why someone would wait for the green pedestrian light considering it is no guarantee that traffic will stop. Later, we were walking down the street with Victor and Victor took a left to cross the street. This would not be unusual, except that I would not have done it because the street was very busy and cars would have to stop quickly to avoid hitting me. But Victor was crossing at the zebra (crosswalk) and apparently fines are substantial enough to make people stop quickly. We have the same law in the USA, but I have never seen people obey this law as they do in Ukraine. Kim and I followed Victor across as all traffic came to a screeching halt. The key is to make that first car stop. Once you do that, the drivers in other cars believe that you will step in front of them and they could be fined.

I have a funny hat. I didn’t know I had a funny hat until we got to the Ukraine. As we walked down the street, Kim, who was next to me, asked Victor why people were staring at her. Well, it wasn’t Kim they were staring at, it was my funny hat. I have a black cotton hat with some yellow thread at the top that looks kind of like the top of a rooster’s head. Everyone wears the exact same kind of hat except for the yellow thread. In the Ukraine, this makes for a funny hat. Victor calls it my happy hat. Ukrainians just don’t wear funny hats.

Toilet paper is the same color and texture as brown paper towels. Ouch.

Here is a Ukrainian joke.
Три українські бідні люди обміну пляшку горілки, але був тільки один м'ята піти з горілкою. Фріст взяв чоловік і вистрілив понюхав м'ятою. Потім друга людина вистрілив і понюхав м'ятою. Нарешті, третя людина взяв і з'їв постріл м'ятою.
Ha! Ha! Ha! LOL!

4 comments:

  1. Pretty funny. You really do have to watch where you walk. They drive on the sidewalks too so watch your back. I think people will look at you simply because as Americans you will stick out no matter what. It's your opportunity to wear whatever you want. Just make sure you have clean undies in case you get in an accident. Ha HA (Had to include the undie joke since we have heard so much about Kevin's underpants)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah in NY they'd grab the money & push the person off the back~ LOL~ Lordy can you imagine here someone actually stopping while you were crossing a busy street~ try that in NY too~ dead pedestrian~ Lordy Kevin this is hilarious~ Yikes~ on the TP~
    oh that joke was hilarious~ I think~ LOL Thanks for sharing~ Have fun!!!! What a wonderful experience for you guys~ Wow Kai will have an extreme culture shock too, except his is for life pretty much~ blessings, Love & Laughter, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny- at least you can see the humor in things. YOu and Kim seem to be adjusting to the differences ( dare I say inconveniences?) well. Love reading your blogs. Keep them coming!
    Love
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, I had a great laugh, thank you. I think by the sounds of it you are having fun in Ukraine. I am impressed that people were staring at you, we couldn't get them to look up. The key to looking up is to wear a funny hat. Bless you two, it is so good to read your blog. Loving the thought your coming home with a son. We will pray the cars continue to stop!!

    ReplyDelete