Saturday, March 27, 2010

God's Provision

Today I am reminded of the immortal words of the infamous Captain Barbosa, and I paraphrase:
"It's not gettin' to Zapporhyzia that's the problem......it's gettin' BAAAAACK!" Yes, even though we still do not have the Interpol clearance, Victor has set a court date for April 6th. That means the earliest we can blow this clambake is the 16th or 17th. Well, it could be worse. I am actually having fun, especially after yesterday. Let me tell you all about it.

In the Internet cafe we met a guy from Chicago. Apparently he was visiting his fiance who was unable to leave Ukraine and marry him because her ex-husband would not release the children without a fight. He recommended to us some nice area restaurants. They say the only reason foreigners come here is for a wife or to adopt kids. It just shows to go you.

I went right back out after dropping my computer at home because we needed more cash. I called Jessica to talk about making plans for the weekend. Her phone ran out of minutes so she can receive calls but cannot make them. I said we can put $$$ on her phone when I get there, I'm getting lotsa money. The guy in the exchange booth spoke very good English, although he was a native. He said my Russian was very good. :) I stopped at the market on the way home to buy paper towels, TP, shampoo and toothpaste. The taxi came at 3:00 and it was Leonid.

I wasn't sure what kind of mood Kai would be in today, after all the drama of the day before, so I told Leo to get me at 6:00. There was no one around and I looked all over the orphanage for the kids. I found Alena in the lounge and the computer room door was locked. Alena banged loudly on the door and Kai emerged looking annoyed. He walked with me outside, alarmed that Jessica was not here yet. I wasn't worried and asked him what he'd like to do today. He said he didn't know, still acting somewhat sulky. Jessica arrived shortly, flanked by the usual 3 or 4 kids. She asked what Kai had in mind for today and he said he just wanted to play the computer game. Jessica and I wanted to arrange an outing for Saturday and needed to talk to Ekaterina, the Director. She also wanted to set up some 7th grade girls with the beads, so I told Kai we didn't need him and said I'd have fun with Jessica.

Ekaterina was not around so we called Victor who called her cell phone for us. My reasoning is; If Nikolai, who has no legal claim on Kai, can take him off campus, even overnight, then why can't we take him for the day, off campus, and go to the Cossack Island? Ekaterina was firm, that it was against the rules for us to take him before the court date, but that we could go with the 7th grade outing to the Island. That was what I figured. We just had to wait and talk to the teacher who was taking them, and he was off somewhere with his kids.

While we waited, we sat in the 7th grade classroom and talked with the girls who were making jewelry with beads. They warmed up to me very quickly, asking me all kinds of questions, from what's my favorite color to are there homeless people in America. There was nothing sacred, they asked whatever came into their mind and I answered as truthfully as I could, in as few words as possible, to spare Jessica. Eventually, they began making jewelry for me, much of it blue since that is my favorite color. They said it matches my eyes. These kids seem to really like blue eyes. Wait til they get a load of Kevin. His eyes are georgous. By the time we quit, I was decked out with 3 new bracelets and 2 new necklaces. I looked absolutely elegant. I said that Jessica and I must go out to dinner tonight because I am so elegant.

The taxi was due to arrive and we still had not finalized plans for the outing. I would have liked to call Leonid and tell him not to come, but Jessica's phone was dead. Therefore, I waited outside and planned to send him off without me. I know that is a bummer for him, but I didn't know what else I could do. Kai happened to see me heading for the gate and ran to tell me good-by. I explained that I was staying and would he please tell the cab driver that I did not call because I had no phone. Leo arrived at nearly 10 past 6:00, very uncharacteristic. I apologised and Kai explained that I was staying. He asked about tomorrow, and I said I would call if I needed him.

Back inside, Jessica was talking with Kai's teacher, Anya. It took quite some time, but it was decided that she would like to take Kai's class to the Cossack Island on Sunday (she had Saturday off), and we figured that would be way more fun for Kai than going with the 7th graders. The problem was in transportation. The electric trolly is free for orphans, but the ride would take over an hour and the trains have a schedule that is perhaps not very frequent. The bus is better but costs 5 grivna per kid round trip. Jessica figured out that the whole class could go for $10.00. I gave her 100 grivna and said problem solved. Yay! Things were definitely looking up.

Once we worked out all the logistics, where to meet, what to bring, Jessica and I finally left. Outside, Kai began to get all lovey-dovey again, hugging me, kissing me, telling me he loved me very much. I chided him on how he changed his tune all of the sudden. He said he was sorry and that he doesn't know why he acts the way he does sometimes. That's a typical teenager for you. I told him I loved him and that I will see him tomorrow. The 7th grade girls walked us to the gate also declaring their love for us, that they had so much fun with us, and that they will be waiting for us tomorrow.

On the way to buying more minutes for Jessica's phone, Victor called. He asked if I was planning on spending the night at the orphanage, which I thought was a little snippy. He was apparently annoyed that I sent Leo away without a fare. He said the cab had been waiting for me. I said that's not true, I was waiting for the cab. I said I understood, and I was sorry, but that our plans had not been settled and Jessica's phone could not make out-going calls. I said we were going to take the bus, and he asked about tomorrow. I said that I would like a cab at 2:00 for Kevin and I. He said to call him tomorrow.

The bus ride costs 2 grivna, as opposed to 30 for the cab. (That's 25 cents versus $3.75.) The bus took us practically to the apartment. We decided to go to the Intourist Hotel for dinner and asked Kevin if he could pry himself away for a little while and join us. He said no, and we walked up the hill to the hotel.

There are multiple restaurants in the hotel, Japanese, Ukrainian, and perhaps Italian. We asked some bell-hop type kids what they recommended, and they said the Ukrainian one. We went up the stairs and entered into another world. The entire place was decorated like a rustic Ukrainian villiage. There was a cart of produce, baskets, and flowers. The waiters were dressed as Cossacks, and were totally cute. The place was nearly empty and service was gracious. We chose a large table near the window and were immediately served a small plate of pretty appetizers and 2 shots of pink-tinged vodka. I liked the place immediately.

I ordered a cabernet and Jessica her usual cappachino. The wine was excellent and things were definitely looking up. There was an elderly Cossack sketching the gentleman in the table next to us. He was very talented. The 2 gentlemen were speaking English and asked us where we were from. They were brothers from Canada and were doing one of those seeking their roots kind of things, like on that Visa commercial. They said they were currently living in Romania doing street ministry for childern there, with an organization called Outstretched Hands of Romania. One guy said he had adopted his daughter 20 years ago from Romania. He was very sympathetic toward me. We said, "Enjoy your dinner" and soon received ours.

I got Ukrainian borscht and Jessica got chicken with cheese and mushroons. As expected, the food was delicious. We talked about all kinds of stuff and had fun. I put on enough peer pressure to get Jessica to drink the entire little shot of vodka. It took the entire meal for us to finish it because we could only take little teeny sips. But we toasted everything we could think of; the guys in the next table, Kevin, Victor, the cute Cossack waiters, Jessica's future husband! We didn't think it could get any better when the old Cossack dude got up and started playing some kind of balalika thing and singing traditional Ukrainian songs. Oh, gosh, it was too awesome! We were having a ball. I convinced Jessica to have some ice cream while I finished my glass of wine and then I asked for the check.

The waiter (Looked to be all of 18 or 19.) brought our check and I glanced at the damage. It was 264 grivna, about $35. Then the waiter took it back from me saying something about the guy at the next table. I thought he must have given me his check by mistake. We waited for our check but it was not forthcoming. I asked again for our check and he returned with another copy of it. I said I wanted to pay, and he looked fairly panicked as he tried to explain that the guy had paid it already. Oh, WOW! I didn't see that coming!

We rose to leave and thanked the guy profusely, giggling like girls. He said his name was Reinhold, or something, and his brother, who had left already, was David. I gave him the card from the Canadian church down the street and we left. We rejoiced and laughed at our good fortune and how the day had been so great in every way as I walked Jessica to the bus stop near our apartment building. The bus came soon and she called Kevin to tell him I'd be at the door momentarily. Kevin was out on the balcony having a cigar and he buzzed me in. I told him all about our day and he was happy. We watched 2 episodes of Bones and went to bed.

I have to make sure Victor doesn't call us a cab for Saturday, we decided to take the bus! How adventurous is that?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You guys have had some great adventures. It's fun to hear about all the things you are discovering. I hope you are getting some good pictures too. Jessica is such a sweetheart! We love her!
    I'm sure April 6th will come quickly. Continued prayers for the all the paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the detail! Continuing prayer :)

    Love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN! See God loves blessing you~ I pray Kevin will truly get to enjoy more of it while you are there too~ I love the pictures of the little place where you ate. I am praying for Kai too~ his emotions must be all over the place right now w/ all the transition that is getting ready to take place. A kind of love/hate relationship w/ it all. Prayers & Love always. Love & Laughter~

    ReplyDelete