Friday, March 19, 2010

Getting Into A Routine

Thursday morning dawned with light snow, growing heavier throughout the morning. By 10:00 Kevin and I had bathed, breakfasted and headed up the hill to the Coffee Life (Coffee As Lifestyle) to get on the internet. We stayed nearly 2 hours and headed home so Kevin could start work. Today was the first day I actually felt like I was on "vacation". I had no agenda and spent the early afternoon puttering around the apartment, relaxing, and doing crossword puzzles.

At 3:00 Victor had arranged a cab for me. It wasn't going to be Vladimir, but Vladimir showed up to show me the cab to get into and to tell the driver where to take me. He really takes good care of me. When I got there, I said I'd like to be picked up at 6:00. Jessica called me while I was en route to say she had to give piano lessons until 4:00 but was free after that.

Kai was outside to greet me and we went in. It had stopped snowing but it was still about 32 degrees. We couldn't use the classroom yet because a kid was still washing the floor. It seems that's all they do in this place is wash floors. But if you knew how dirty everything is outside, you'd see why.

Nonna suggested we walk to the nearby grocery store. I was concerned about breaking the rules and tried to explain this to her. She ran to find Jessica and it was worked out that we could go there, but I could not take him in any transportation (ie, cab). Kai wanted gum for sure. In the store I asked him to show me what he wanted, that I had plenty of money. He chose a loaf of fresh bread, a pouch of mayonaise, 3 bags of some kind of snack food, like popcorn or chips or something, and then asked if he could get some candy to share, too. I suggested M&M's and he asked how many could he get. I said 2. And he got a small pack of gum. It came to about $8.00.

Back at the orphanage, the boys wanted to play cards again, so we got set up and went to it. Kai did not offer any of the food, he just left it in the bag. Vitaly was in the game, Kai was clueless, and the other boy struggled, too. It seems that they could not get the bidding part. If you make less than you bid, you get negative points. After a few hands, Kai was at negative 230 points. I thought it was pretty funny because I was trying to get Vitaly to help me explain but I think Kai couldn't be bothered. He left the game to use the bathroom and another boy joined in. This boy did better until I realized he wasn't following suit. Oh, well. We had fun anyway.

Kai broke out the M&M's and everybody had some. At 5:00 we were kicked out of the room for study hall and I was surprised that Jessica hadn't found me yet. As I gathered my stuff to relocate, Kai asked for any other goodies that I might have in my bag. I had some candy and another can of peanuts. He said he wanted all this to share later tonight with his friends. Then he said he wanted to stay in study hall and not stay with me. I must admit I felt pretty bad about all this. But while I sat alone on the couch I tried to put myself in his shoes.

He acknowledged today that he was going to miss his friends when he leaves. With me here, he's kind of like a celebrity. He wants to have a "party" for his friends and I'm not sure what he means by that, what that entails. Perhaps that is what the food is for. I think he shares it at night after they're supposed to be in bed. That may be why he was tired today.

I couldn't get a hold of Jessica, so I called Victor to see if he could send a taxi now instead of waiting around until 6:00. While I was waiting for Victor to call me back, Jessica showed up. We chatted a bit and I bounced my thoughts off her. Then Victor called to say a cab would be here in 7 minutes. It was Vladimir. Jessica came with us and got dropped off at her apartment. She suggested we do something together tomorrow night seeing as it was Friday. I think I would like that very much.

Back at the apartment, Kevin was plugging away at work. I had a beer and tried to sort out how I was feeling. All I could liken it to was when Kelly was born. I had been so happy and successful at my work (physical therapy) and having this kid just threw me out of my element. I couldn't communicate with her and I wasn't sure she even liked me! Today was a little like that. I want to know what he's thinking, what he wants, what he needs, why he acts the way he does....just like I felt when Kelly was an infant. I guess I'll just have to be patient. I continued to think and pray that God would give me wisdom. Kevin pried himself off the computer at about 10:30. We watched another episode of Bones and went to sleep.

Friday morning was sunny and bright. By 10:00am it was 4 degrees C. We went to the Coffee Life to blog. A young girl soon approached us. She said she overheard us speaking English and she was excited to hear English. Her name was Sarah and she is a missionary from Kansas. She is affiliated with a Canadian group who have started a church just down the street. The church speaks English with Russian subtitles. They meet on Saturday nights. I said that Jessica mentioned a Canadian church and Sarah said she knows Jessica. I think everyone in Zapporizhyia knows Jessica! I said I hoped we could go to her church tomorrow night and I was glad she came over to introduce herself.

I think I will do some cleaning in the apartment this afternoon before I go to the orphanage. I have no goodies to bring. I will give Jessica the rest of the candy. I don't like that these kids are eating junk all night. Kevin suggested I make a trail mix with nuts and raisins and stuff like that. However, we discovered that the cost of nuts is crazy here. A small bag of almonds is like 90 grivna! (nearly $10). So forget that. No wonder the peanuts went over so big. They were expensive but not that bad.

Kevin and I have noted that contrary to some rumors, we have found the Ukranian people to be friendly, helpful and gracious toward us. They don't greet you on the street, but that's because there are so many people walking to where they're going, you'd be greeting non-stop if you did. In America, we usually are walking for pleasure or exercise, not just to get somewhere. When I am out walking at home, I greet other people walking. It doen't seem appropriate here but that doesn't mean they're unfriendly, just busy.

Victor will be busy today working on our papers. I hope things go smoothly for him. I have been praying for him like crazy. He said he slept the whole way on the train and that he feels well. That is good. I want him to be at the top of his game. Thank you for your comments and your continued prayers for us!

4 comments:

  1. Kim- Love following your journey. I remember you telling me those exact things about when Kelly was a baby- but you did not tell me until after Robbie was born. You were so surprised to learn that babies could wait- Robbie would fuss, and it was ok if you did not pick him up immediately, and you did not have this with Kelly! So I am sure you will be just as intuitive with Kai. It took two years after Kelly was born, so a week or so is nothing! Thinking of you guys every day,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving hearing you tell about your journey~ remember that God is in control & He will fill in the blanks. I can't imagine growing up like that & then having to leave all you've ever known~ but that's the glory of it~ we do that before we know Jesus~ live a whole different, unfamiliar life, then He comes along & changes everything we've ever known~ all for the better as He is doing for all of you now! PLT! Love & Miss you~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update. I'm sure there are so many emotions that you are going through on this journey and Kai is too. I'll send you a facebook mesage about the party he is talking about. I know its hard to not be with him every minute you can but you have a great perspective on it. God will fill you up to overflowing and Kai will have made his friends feel special and cared about too. Sounds like you are having playing cards. Uno is usally pretty popular there too and doesn't require language skills.
    Praying for a speedy court date :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim...I can finally post! (Dave had set up our account, not me)I remember when the boys did the same thing to me. There friends are all they know and boys love to play! The language also plays into it! As excited as El was to go, he had mixed emotions about leaving his friends and was depressed for a while when he came. Of course, you know that all changed! Hang in there my friends...it is an emotional rollercoaster but God will use this entire experience for all of you for good! Love you...praying!

    ReplyDelete