Tuesday, March 30, 2010

So Begins Another Week

There is an old saying that goes: I am so hungry I could eat a horse. That implies that a "horse" is a very large unit of measure. Last night I was so tired I could sleep a horse. So, last night I slept a horse. We took our time getting to the cafe and didn't get back to the apartment until nearly 1:00. Where does the day go?



I needed to go to the Comfy to get food and stuff for us, but I was not ambitious enough. I decided to get off the bus there on the way home tonight and shop, then walk home. So I lazed around doing nothing (yay!) and hopped on the bus at 2:30. The bus is so convenient. I love the freedom to be able to come and go without having to be locked in to a cab.



I arrived at the orphanage at 3:00 and was there just in time to say good-bye to Nikolai. He had been there visiting and was now leaving. He gave Kai a bag filled with apples, candy, and a glob of sunflower seed paste. I offered to carry it in my shoulder bag and we took off with Jessica to find the rest of his class at the playground. It was a pretty long walk and we talked about cell phones and PlayStations. The store selling the used PS2 was on the way and we stopped in to see it. I said that we could stop in on the way back and ask the girl to make it play for us to see if it worked.



Kai took off to play and Jessica an I sat on the swing bench with some girls and chatted. As usual, the kids eventually congregated around us. One girl went to jump off the swing while we were being pushed high and she caight her leg on a splinter of wood or metal, cutting her leg pretty badly. I gave her a disinfectant wipe and told her to keep pressure on it. She and Alina eventually went back to the orphanage. The teacher chaperoning the kids soon left, too. She left the kids in the care of me and Jessica, which is way against the rules, I think, but I'll bet we won't be the ones to get in trouble.



The boys were eventually done at the park and we all piled into the small video game store. Upon questioning, the salesgirl said the PS2 they were interested in was actually just a joystick. It was pretty big for just a joystick, but the PS2's they had for sale were 600 grivna (less than half the price of the new one we saw). This made much more sense to me, and the boys left disappointed.



On the way back we went into the Silpo (not Silko, as I thought it was) and got food. As usual, we got bread and sausage, and also string cheese, cookies and drinks. Back at the classroom the boys opted to learn Yatzee, which ended up being a lot of work for me. I ran around the table as each kid had his turn, helping them to see what they needed and make decisions on what to go for. Jessica rolled 2 Yatzees and kicked everyone's butt.



We picked up and Andrei got a bucket and mop and washed the entire floor. It is amazing to see these kids clean all the time without being asked by anyone. Outside there was a crew of kids raking and shovelling in the dirt. I saw no sign of Vitaly all day and was told he was outside working. I wanted to buy Marcia some new hose, since she distroyed hers on the swing, so Jessica and I left at 7:00 as the kids were heading in to dinner. I spent about $1.50 on the hose and Jessica bought a loaf of bread for a group of little ones who were hungry. We returned with our offerings and left for the night.



I hopped on the bus at 7:30 and realized how totally spent I was. I decided not to try to grocery shop and had Jessica call Kevin and tell him I'd be home by 8:00. At exactly 8:00pm I arrived at the apartment door and crashed for the night. We finished Bones and I was in bed by 10:30.

2 comments:

  1. The journey is sometimes tiring but God always gives you strength for that day and then renews you for the next. Isn't that cool?! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so Kevin, you haven't blogged in a while~ how are you doing? we want to hear from you too. share some of your thoughts & feelings w/ us. We are praying for you guys dialy~ Love & Laughter, Kim

    ReplyDelete